Thursday, July 25, 2013

Nada al-Ahdal, 11-Year-Old Yemeni Girl Flees Home to Avoid Forced Marriage.

VIDEO: 11-year-old Yemeni girl flees home to avoid forced marriage. Jerusalem Post, July 23, 2013.

Nada Al-Ahdal, Yemeni Girl Who Escaped Forced Marriage, and Her Uncle: Islamists Threaten Our Lives. MEMRI TV, Video Clip No. 3923, July 24, 2013. YouTube.




JPost:

The Internet video of an 11-year-old Yemeni girl who ran away from home after her parents sought to force her into an arranged marriage has gone viral.
 
The girl, Nada al-Ahdal, is seen in the video, which was translated and first posted by the Middle East Media Research Institute, protesting her parents’ decision while accusing them of threatening her life if she refused to go along with their plans.
 
“Go ahead and marry me off. I’ll kill myself,” she is seen saying. “Don’t they have any compassion? I’m better off dead. I’d rather die,” she continued. “It’s not [the kids’] fault. I’m not the only one. It can happen to any child. . . . They have killed our dreams, they have killed everything inside us. There’s nothing left. There is no upbringing. This is criminal, this is simply criminal.”